Protecting Against Fraud
Fraud Prevention Tips
Preventing Fraud for POS Solutions. (In-Person Transactions)
1. Keep receipts or an itemized list of all transactions.
2. Document customer purchases.
3. Understand and know all your equipment, including your POS system.
4. Do not accept "Letters of Authorization."
5. Be cautious when manually entering worn or damaged cards.
6. Keep an eye on customers that may be distracting or appear agitated.
7. Be attentive to customers who keep their credit cards separate from their wallets.
8. Educate all your employees on fraud signs.
9. Always ask for identification and compare signatures.
10. If you are ever unsure or need advice - contact us!
Preventing Fraud For Card-Not-Present. (Online Transactions)
1. Pay close attention to the time of day the order was made and the e-mail address that was used.
2. Be cautious of expedited shipping when billing and shipping addresses are different.
3. Anyone who is a first-time shopper.
4. Make sure you use Address Verification (AVS) for all online orders.
5. If you are ever in doubt about a potential customer, it is well within your rights to ask for more identification.
6. The mailing address should be checked to see if it is a mailbox or a forward shipping service.
7. Be cautious of anyone who tries to "rush" or "overnight" orders.
8. Try your best to set purchase limits.
9. When shipping your orders, make sure to use tracking numbers and require signatures during delivery.
10. Always require the Security Code (CVV).
11. Make sure the IP location and credit card address match.
12. Be cautious of orders that include several of the same items or are made up of "big ticket" items.